FRUIT & VEGETABLE
Russian Salad also known as Olivier Salad is made from parboiled vegetables and fruits mixed with a yogurt & mayonnaise based dressing and thus its flavor and texture is quite different from the normal salads. Yoghurt gives an extra burst to the salad and makes it quite soothing.
The most commonly used fruits & vegetables in a Russian Salad are potatoes, carrots, peas, apple and pineapple. You can add other ingredients like beans, sweet corn, cucumber, pomegranate seeds, strawberries, grapes, oranges and even paneer cubes.
Also I have made the dressing using just yogurt, you can add some Mayonnaise to make a creamier dressing as well.
The salad is traditionally from Russian cuisine but has now become popular all over the world and the preparation varies from place to place.
Historically Russian salad contained much more exotic and expensive ingredients but over the time as the dish got popular, these have been replaced by more inexpensive and commonly available ingredients.
This Salad is known to form part of dinner in Russia during festivities and as a traditional home dish for the New Year celebration.
The Russian salad Recipe is simple, easy, tasty and wholesome. You can serve the Russian salad with regular meals or as a snack whenever you feel hungry. For people who have the urge to eat something sweet after the meals, Russian salad is a healthy choice.
To make Russian Salad at home follow the detailed step by step recipe posted below.
Ingredients For Russian Salad Recipe
- 1 Medium Sized Potato
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Carrot
- 1/2 Cup Green Peas
- 1/2 Cup Diced Cucumber
- 3/4 Cup Chopped Apple Pieces
- 1/2 Cup Diced Pineapple
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Strawberries
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Grapes
- 1 Cup Yogurt
- 2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Pomegranate
Step By Step Instructions for Russian Salad Recipe
- Boil potatoes, carrot and peas. Then chop them into small pieces, but don’t mash them.
- Also chop cucumber, apple, pineapple, grapes and strawberries.
- Mix all the chopped fruits and vegetables in a large bowl.
- To make the dressing, combine yogurt with Salt, Black Pepper Powder & Sugar and mix well.
- If required you can add very little water to make a dressing of coating consistency. Take care not to add too much water otherwise the dressing will become runny.
- Pour the dressing over the fruits & vegetables and toss to coat them evenly. Chill the salad for a couple of hours before serving.
Don’t forget to Pin this post to save it for later.
We’d love to know your thoughts about this dish! Please leave a comment or share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #_interestingvibes_