How to Make Paper Clay
— Steps With Pictures
We love working with paper mache and upcycled newspapers. paper clay though technically a poaper mache Technique and super fun to work with .
Today, learn how to make paper clay with our steps – pictures included.
Homemade Paper Clay uses the same ingredients as a paper mache paste receipe, but you will need a blender as well!
For a “whiter” clay finish, you can also use toilet paper and glue. But I prefer the shredded paper version as it is more eco friendly.
Did you know that shredded paper can NOT be recycled? Most paper recycling plants can’t “handle” shredded paper as it is too small or clogs up the machines. So these shredded paper uses are great for eco- friendly person!
DIY Paper Clay Video
You can either watch out video tutorial or follow the step by step photo directions on INSTAGRAM : _interestingvibes_
Step 1 DIY Paper Clay – Gather your suppliers
- shredded paper or newspaper cut into pieces
- large bowl
- Hot water
- flour – 1 part flour to 4 parts pulp
- a hand blender or mixer
- lemon juice/vinegar(1tbsp)
Step 2 Make Shredded Paper or cut up newspapers
Begin by shredding all your paper. Using stredded paper is a wonderful upcycling technique.
Did you know that many recycling plant can NOT process shredded paper? It falls through the machinery gaps and clogs it up.
So if you have paper to shredd.. this is a great way to use it up.
Step 3 Fill a Bowl with Paper & Hot Water
Mix the water and shredded paper up throughly and make sure it is fully covered and able to saturate the shredded paper.
Step 4 Leave overnight (or for a few hours)
Your mixture won’t look much different the next day.. but the paper should now be softer and ready for hand blending!
Step 5 Blend with a hand blender or similar
A hand blender is great or you can use an electric mixer as well. Please ask for permission first and also make sure it doesn’t overheat! Pulp up the paper with the blender until it is broken down completely.
Step 6 Squeeze out excess water
STEP 7 :
- Add the remaining ingredients. To the bowl with the pulp, add a cup of premixed joint compound, 3/4 cup white school glue, 2 tablespoons (29.6 ml) mineral oil, and 1/2 cup white flour.
Mix up the clay until smooth.
Use your electric mixer to beat the clay at a high speed. The paper fibers will break down and blend with the joint compound, glue, oil and flour until it takes on a smooth, dough-like consistency.
- If you want a thicker clay, mix in an extra half cup of flour.
- For a thinner consistency, add an extra half cup of glue.
- Do not substitute these ingredients. Different types of glue, oil, flour, and so one will change the consistency of the paper clay and may not produce the results you want.
STEP : 8 Storing your paper clay – use an air tight container
- After using , Store leftover clay in an airtight container.
- This will prevent it from drying out between uses. If kept in an airtight container, the clay will keep for several weeks.